Μου ζητήθηκε από το New Balkan Politics (της FYROM) συνέντευξη για το «Μακεδονικό». Την παραθέτω και εδώ ακριβώς όπως την έστειλα σήμερα (20.3.09) για να κατοχυρώσω την αυθεντικότητα του κειμένου.
- Macedonia and Greece have a dispute which incriminates the bilateral relations between the two countries for a long time. What is the essence of the greek-macedonian dispute over the name issue of Macedonia?
Macedonia is the name of a geographical region which belongs to three different nations. It was wrong from the part of the "Republic of Macedonia" to claim the name only for itself. As early as 1992 I had proposed the name Democracy of Northern Macedonia, or of Upper Macedonia.
- Once you have written that so called Macedonian issue is not the issue of national interest for Greece. Why do you think so if we have on mind the official Greek policy which says that it is the national interest of Greece?
I think that the importance of the issue has been exaggerated for nationalistic reasons.
- Can we trust the Greek officials when they say that are pledge for a compromise solution?
I think yes. After a period of intransigence they propose solutions which are a feasible compromise.
- What in your opinion is the fair compromise?
What I had proposed in 1992.
- Macedonia says that the change of the constitutional name of the country will be treason. Can the Greek politicians understand the Macedonian position?
No, and I personally think the word “treason” is also an exaggeration.
- Greece blocked Macedonian NATO invitation and treats that that will do the same with the EU integration which in Macedonia is seen as a hostility act. How do you comment this?
Both countries to my opinion have in different times made mistakes by forcing issues.
- Both countries discuss a lot of time to find the solution but having in mind the present positions many people are pessimistic about the result in the UN process. Is it possible to anticipate when the dispute will finally be resolved? (I mean in some time frame).
I am not a prophet – but I hope reason and understanding will prevail in the end.